cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Laing, Michael" <michael.la...@nytimes.com>
Subject No deletes - is periodic repair needed? I think not...
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:55:26 GMT
I have a simple set of tables that can be grouped as follows:

1. Regular values, no deletes, no overwrites, write heavy, ttl's to manage
size

2. Regular values, no deletes, some overwrites, read heavy (10 to 1), ttl's
to manage size

3. Counter values, no deletes, update heavy, rotation/truncation to manage
size

It seems to me that I can set gc_grace_seconds to 0 on each set of tables
and that I do not need to do periodic repair on any of them.

Is this the case? If so it relieves an operational headache and eliminates
a lot of processing.

The only downside I can see is if (when) a node really gets wiped out -
then I might lose any hints it may be holding as a coordinator and maybe
some other stuff. This is a rare occurrence, but if it happened I guess I
would replace the node, repairing and cleaning it as needed, and run repair
-pr sequentially on all other nodes to be sure the cluster is in sync.

BTW I am using Cassandra 2.0.3 and local quorum reads and writes on a 2 dc
12-node cluster.

Thanks,

Michael