cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Narendra Sharma <narendra.sha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra 1.1.6 crash without any exception or error in log
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 05:00:05 GMT
The root cause turned out to be high heap. The Linux OOM Killer (
http://linux-mm.org/OOM_Killer) killed the process. It took some time to
figure out but very interesting. We knew high heap is a problem but had no
clue when the actual heap usage was well within limit and the process
disappeared. syslog helped figure this out.

About Linux OOM Killer
"It is the job of the linux 'oom killer' to *sacrifice* one or more
processes in order to free up memory for the system when all else fails"

--
Narendra Sharma
Software Engineer