cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: nodetool status owns % calculation after upgrade to 2.0.2
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2014 00:14:54 GMT
On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Mullen, Robert <robert.mullen@pearson.com>wrote:

> I have a multi region cluster with 3 nodes in each data center, ec2
> us-east and and west.  Prior to upgrading to 2.0.2 from 1.2.6, the owns %
> of each node was 100%, which made sense because I had a replication factor
> of 3 for each data center.  After upgrading to 2.0.2 each node claims to
> own about 17% of the data now.

First, why would you upgrade to 2.0.2 when higher versions exist?

Second, are you running in production? If so, read this :
https://engineering.eventbrite.com/what-version-of-cassandra-should-i-run/

> So a couple of questions:
> 1.  Any idea why the owns % would have changed from 100% to 17% per node
> after upgrade?

Because the display of this information has changed repeatedly over the
years, including for bugfixes.

etc.

2. Is there anything else I can do to get the data back in sync between the
> nodes other than nodetool repair?

What do you mean by "the counts are different across the nodes now"?

It is pretty unlikely that you have lost any data, from what you have
described.

=Rob