cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Nodetool removenode => Stream stuck
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2014 19:24:31 GMT
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Philippe Dupont <pdupont@teads.tv> wrote:

> As we are using Vnodes on a 28 node cluster, the removenode command
> generates a lot of streams between all nodes. The problem is that some
> stream becomes stuck.
> It's the third time we use the removenode command and each time, some
> stream was stuck

What version of Cassandra? If 1.2.x, streaming has been rewritten
significantly in 2.0, and so in theory should be less likely to do this.
Note that I do not recommend upgrading to 2.0 in production at this time.

> The solution we found is to force the removenode (nodetool removenode
> force) and then restart the nodes with stream pending to get rid of them

The solution you found means that the streaming part of removenode was
interrupted, which means you should repair ASAP.

Is the ticket where your input as to the desirability of a facility to
stop/restart streaming operations without restarting nodes is welcome.

=Rob