cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <>
Subject Re: Question about node tool repair
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2014 19:25:35 GMT
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Logendran, Dharsan (Dharsan) <> wrote:

>  We have a two  node cluster with the replication factor of 2.   The db
> has more than 2500 column families(tables).   The nodetool -pr repair on an
> empty database(one or table has a litter data) takes about 30 hours to
> complete.   We are using Cassandra Version 2.0.4.   Is there any way for us
> to speed up this?.

Cassandra 2.0.2 made aspects of repair serial and therefore logically much
slower as a function of replication factor. Yours is not the first report I
have heard of >= 2.0.2 era repair being unreasonably slow.

You can use -par (not at all confusingly named with -pr!) to get the old
parallel behavior.

Cassandra 2.1 has this ticket to improve repair with vnodes.

But really you should strongly consider how much you need to run repair,
and at very least probably increase gc_grace_seconds from the unreasonably
low default of 10 days to 32 days, and then run your repair on the first of
each month.

IMO it is just a complete and total error if repair of an actually empty
database is anything but a NO-OP. I would file a JIRA ticket, were I you.

View raw message