cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Michael Shuler <mich...@pbandjelly.org>
Subject Re: Centralized tool to install and manage C* from one machine
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 05:29:51 GMT
On 01/27/2014 10:34 PM, Kumar Ranjan wrote:
> I am used to working with CCM for testing. For production, I depend on
> installing cassandra manually. Is there a proven tool to install and
> manage multinode cassandra cluster? If you have any experience, please
> let me know.

A good answer will depend on where you will be deploying your cluster,
how many nodes you plan, etc.  For bare metal installations, for
instance with Debian or Ubuntu, you may want to automate with a preseed
[0] of your OS installations to set up the JVM, install your desired
cassandra version package, etc.  RedHat variants use similar OS
automation with kickstart [1]. Or, perhaps you want to use AWS and a
preinstalled AMI [2] or create your own "golden image" on AWS and save
it as an AMI for booting your other machines.

I've done preseeds and kickstarts extensively and have set up a few
custom AMIs - you may want to consider that most production clusters are
likely running Debian or Ubuntu.

Once you have machines installed, you may want some configuration
management, or you could use a config manager to aid in OS installation
and setup at install time - it seems that chef [3] has gained some
traction over the once-hot puppet [4], but salt [5] is also quite
mature, if you like python better than ruby.

I've used all of these and they are great.  I've also been burned by
them all.  There's nothing quite like the complete control over
configurations carefully checked into a VCS and parallel ssh to pull
them out, along with a few scripts to set up things just right - just my
experience  ;)

There is also priam [6].  I keep wanting to find some time to play with
it, so I have no insight, but it looks very interesting.

If you'd like cassandra cluster management beyond
installation/configuration of the machine, have a look at opscenter [7].

I'm sure there are a lot of other projects / cookbooks that others might
be working on - chime in!

Michael

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed
[1]