cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Todd Carrico <Todd.Carr...@match.com>
Subject RE: Read/Write consistency issue
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 23:17:06 GMT
I think the anti-pattern is more about the read/write trying to be atomic.

You might want to logically lock your record unless you are pretty sure you have figured out
how to keep users from overwriting each others edits is all.

tc

From: Robert Wille [mailto:rwille@fold3.com]
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 4:52 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Read/Write consistency issue

Interested in knowing more on why read-before-write is an anti-pattern. In the next month
or so, I intend to use Cassandra as a doc store. One very common operation will be to read
the document, make a change, and write it back. These would be interactive users modifying
their own documents, so rapid repeated writing is not an issue. Why would this be bad?

Robert