cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Rhoden <jacob.rho...@me.com>
Subject Cassandra and "bug track" type number sequencing.
Date Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:33:39 GMT
Hi Guys,

As per the subject, is there any way at all to easily associate small numbers in systems where
users traditionally associate “bug/request” tickets with short numbers?

In this use case I imagine the requirements would be as follows:
The numbers don’t necessary need to be sequential, just need to be short enough for a user
to read out loud.
The numbers must be unique.
It doesn’t need to scale, i.e. a typical “request” system is not getting hundreds of
requests per second.
In an ideal world, we could do away with associating “requests” with numbers, but its
so ubiquitous I’m not sure you can sell doing away with short number codes.

I am toying with the idea of a Cassandra table that makes available short “blocks” of
numbers that an app server can hold “reservations” on. i.e.

create table request_id_block(
    start int,
    end int,
    uuid uuid,
    reserved_by int,
    reserved_until bigint,
    primary key(start,end));

Will having an app server mark a block as reserved (QUOROM) and then reading it back (QUOROM)
be enough to for an app server to know it owns that block of numbers?

Best regards,
Jacob