cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Dan Kogan <>
Subject RE: Looking for a fully working AWS multi DC configuration.
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 17:03:21 GMT

We are using a very similar configuration.  From our experience, Cassandra nodes in the same
DC need access over both public and private IP on the storage port (7000/7001).  Nodes from
other DC will need access over public IP on the storage port.
All Cassandra nodes also need access over the public IP on the Thrift port (9160).

From: Alain RODRIGUEZ []
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 9:49 AM
Subject: Looking for a fully working AWS multi DC configuration.

We use to work on a single DC (EC2Snitch / SimpleStrategy). For latency reason we had top
open a new DC in the US (us-east). We run C* 1.2.2. We don't use VPC.

Now we use:
- 2 DC (eu-west, us-east)
- EC2MultiRegionSnitch / NTS
- public IPs as broadcast_address and seeds
- private IPs as listen_address

Yet we are experimenting some troubles (node can't reach itself, Could not start register
mbean in JMX...), mainly because of the use of public IPs and the AWS inter-region communication.

If someone has successfully setup this kind of cluster, I would like to know, if our configuration
is correct and if I am missing something.

I also would like to know what ports I have to open and either where I have to open them from.