cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: best practices on EC2 question
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 18:13:07 GMT
>  b) do people skip backups altogether except for huge outages and just let rebooted server
instances come up empty to repopulate via C*?
This one.
Bootstrapping a new node into the cluster has a small impact on the existing nodes and the
new nodes to have all the data they need when the finish the process.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

On 17/05/2013, at 3:17 AM, Janne Jalkanen <> wrote:

> On May 16, 2013, at 17:05 , Brian Tarbox <> wrote:
>> An alternative that we had explored for a while was to do a two stage backup:
>> 1) copy a C* snapshot from the ephemeral drive to an EBS drive
>> 2) do an EBS snapshot to S3.
>> The idea being that EBS is quite reliable, S3 is still the emergency backup and copying
back from EBS to ephemeral is likely much faster than the 15 MB/sec we get from S3.
> Yup, this is what we do.  We use rsync with --bwlimit=4000 to copy the snapshots from
the eph drive to EBS; this is intentionally very low so that the backup process does not take
eat our I/O.  This is on m1.xlarge instances; YMMV so measure :).  EBS drives are then snapshot
with ec2-consistent-snapshot and then old snapshots expired using ec2-expire-snapshots (I
believe these scripts are from Alestic).
> /Janne

View raw message