Hi all,

Is the following a good backup solution.

Create two data-centers:

- A live data-center with multiple nodes (commodity hardware). Clients connect to this cluster with LOCAL_QUORUM.
- A backup data-center with 1 node (with fast SSDs). Clients do not connect to this cluster. Cluster only used for creating and storing snapshots.

Advantages:

- No snapshots and bulk network I/O (transfer snapshots) needed on the live cluster.
- Clients are not slowed down because writes to the backup data-center are async.
- On the backup cluster snapshots are made on a regular basis. This again does not affect the live cluster.
- The back-up cluster does not need to process client requests/reads, so we need less machines for the backup cluster than the live cluster.

Are there any disadvantages with this approach?

Thanks!