You always want to run upgrade stables, ASAP. Sooner or later as the tables compact they will upgrade. I hit a bug once with large bloom filters where, after an upgrade, reading old bloom filters caused 0 rows returned when there was data.

Once bitten twice shy. Upgrade one node disable gossip, disable thrift, bring up iptables if you are really paranoid. Run repair/scrub. Wait till done deactivated.