cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: Denormalization
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2013 22:47:41 GMT
Things like PlayOrm exist to help you with half and half of denormalized and normalized data.
 There are more and more patterns out there of denormalization and normalization but allowing
for scalability still.  Here is one patterns page

https://github.com/deanhiller/playorm/wiki/Patterns-Page

Dean

From: Adam Venturella <aventurella@gmail.com<mailto:aventurella@gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:44 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Denormalization

In my experience, if you foresee needing to do a lot of updates where a "master" record would
need to propagate its changes to other records, then in general a non-sql based data store
may be the wrong fit for your data.

If you have a lot of data that doesn't really change or is not linked in some way to other
rows (in Cassandra's case). Then a non-sql based data store could be a great fit.

Yes, you can do some fancy stuff to force things like Cassandra to behave like an RDBMS, but
it's at the cost of application complexity; more code, more bugs.

I often end up mixing the data stores sql/non-sql to play to their respective strengths.

If I start seeing a lot of "related" data, relational databases are really good at solving
that problem.