cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: CQL3 and clients for new Cluster
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 23:38:14 GMT
Some of the Mapping libraries can help translate into objects and not have sooo much DAO code

PlayOrm has a whole feature list of things that can be helpful.  I am sure other high level
clients have stuff as well that can speed up development time.
https://github.com/deanhiller/playorm#playorm-feature-list

Dean

From: Matthew Langton <mjlan83@gmail.com<mailto:mjlan83@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:35 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: CQL3 and clients for new Cluster

Hi all,

I started looking at Cassandra awhile ago and got used to the Thrift API. I put it on the
back burner for awhile though until now. To get back up to speed I have read a lot of documentation
at the DataStax website, and it appears that the Thrift API is no longer considered the ideal
way to interface with Cassandra.

So my questions are these:

What is the future of the Thrift API, should I just ignore it going forward and use CQL?

If CQL is the preferred way to interface with Cassandra, does using any of the clients listed
here: http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ClientOptions provide me any benefits over using a
JDBC like the one listed here http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/cassandra-jdbc/

Thanks,
Matt