cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Manu Zhang <owenzhang1...@gmail.com>
Subject initial_token configuration
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 03:57:52 GMT

> # If blank, Cassandra will request a token bisecting the range of
> # the heaviest-loaded existing node.  If there is no load information
> # available, such as is the case with a new cluster, it will pick
> # a random token, which will lead to hot spots.
> initial_token:

Hi all. I have questions about this comment.

Will *Cassandra 1.2* request a token bisecting the range of the
heaviest-loaded existing node?  (I don't find it in the code)

Also, if no load information available, I assume it's the case when I add
the first node. In that case, is it ok to leave initial_token blank and
pick a random token? will it lead to hot spots? (I understand leaving the
option blank when adding following nodes would lead to unbalanced ring)

Thanks.
Manu Zhang