cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: why set replica placement strategy at keyspace level ?
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:42:49 GMT
The row is the unit of replication, all values with the same storage engine row key in a KS
are on the same nodes. if they were per CF this would not hold.

Not that it would be the end of the world, but that is the first thing that comes to mind.

Cheers
-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 27/01/2013, at 4:15 PM, Manu Zhang <owenzhang1990@gmail.com> wrote:

> Although I've got to know Cassandra for quite a while, this question only has occurred
to me recently:

> Why are the replica placement strategy and replica factors set at the keyspace level?
>
> Would setting them at the column family level offers more flexibility?
>
> Is this because it's easier for user to manage an application? Or related to internal
implementation? Or it's just that I've overlooked something?