cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Zhong Li <...@voxeo.com>
Subject Re: Understanding Virtual Nodes on Cassandra 1.2
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:29:27 GMT
One more question, can I add a virtual node manually without reboot and rebuild a host data?

I checked nodetool command, there is no option to add a node.

Thanks.

Zhong

On Jan 29, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Zhong Li wrote:

> I was misunderstood this  http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/virtual-nodes-in-cassandra-1-2
, especially
> "If you want to get started with vnodes on a fresh cluster, however, that is fairly straightforward.
Just don’t set the initial_token parameter in yourconf/cassandra.yaml and instead enable
the num_tokens parameter. A good default value for this is 256"

> Also I couldn't find document about set multiple tokens for cassandra.inital_token
>
> Anyway, I just tested, it does work to set  comma separated list of tokens.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zhong
>

> On Jan 29, 2013, at 3:06 AM, aaron morton wrote:
>
>>> After I searched some document on Datastax website and some old ticket, seems
that it works for random partitioner only, and leaves order preserved partitioner out of the
luck.
>> Links ?
>>
>>>   or allow add Virtual Nodes manually?
>> If not looked into it but there is a cassandra.inital_token startup param that takes
a comma separated list of tokens for the node.

>> There also appears to be support for the ordered partitions to generate random tokens.

>> But you would still have the problem of having to balance your row keys around the
token space.

>> Cheers
>>
>> -----------------
>> Aaron Morton
>> Freelance Cassandra Developer
>> New Zealand
>>
>> @aaronmorton
>> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>>
>> On 29/01/2013, at 10:31 AM, Zhong Li <zli@voxeo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Virtual Nodes is great feature. After I searched some document on Datastax website
and some old ticket, seems that it works for random partitioner only, and leaves order preserved
partitioner out of the luck. I may misunderstand, please correct me. if it doesn't love order
preserved partitioner, would be possible to add support multiple initial_token(s) for  order
preserved partitioner  or allow add Virtual Nodes manually?