cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Issue when deleting Cassandra rowKeys.
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2013 02:02:43 GMT
Deletes must be written to disk otherwise they are lost.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 28/01/2013, at 3:29 AM, Kasun Weranga <kasunw@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After running compaction tombstones get removed. So It seems like only setting GC grace
seconds to lower value is not enough. Am I correct ?

> Thanks,
> Kasun
>
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Kasun Weranga <kasunw@wso2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Michael Kjellman <mkjellman@barracuda.com> wrote:
> What is your gc_grace set to?
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I tried setting GcGraceSeconds for the column family to 0 since I have only one Cassandra
node. still I can see the same behavior.

>     ColumnFamily: bam_phone_retail_store_kpi
>       Key Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.BytesType
>       Default column value validator: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.BytesType
>       Columns sorted by: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.BytesType
>       GC grace seconds: 0
>       Compaction min/max thresholds: 4/32
>       Read repair chance: 0.0
>       DC Local Read repair chance: 0.0
>       Replicate on write: false
>       Caching: KEYS_ONLY
>       Bloom Filter FP chance: default
>       Compaction Strategy: org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.SizeTieredCompactionStrategy
>       Compression Options:
>         chunk_length_kb: 128
>         sstable_compression: org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.SnappyCompressor
>

> I am using Cassandra 1.1.3. Appreciate your help on solving this.
>
> Thanks,
> Kasun.
>

> Are your findings before or after this time after the deletion?
>
> From: Kasun Weranga <kasunw@wso2.com>
> Date: Saturday, January 26, 2013 10:33 AM
> To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>, "dev@cassandra.apache.org"
<dev@cassandra.apache.org>
> Subject: Issue when deleting Cassandra rowKeys.
>
> Hi all,
>
> When I delete some rowkeys programmatically I can see two rowkeys remains in the column
family. I think it is due to tombstones. Is there a way to remove it when deleting rowkeys.
Can I run compaction programmatically after deletion? will it remove all these remaining rowkeys.