cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Zhong Li <...@voxeo.com>
Subject Re: Understanding Virtual Nodes on Cassandra 1.2
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:09:43 GMT
I was misunderstood this  http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/virtual-nodes-in-cassandra-1-2 ,
especially
"If you want to get started with vnodes on a fresh cluster, however, that is fairly straightforward.
Just don’t set the initial_token parameter in yourconf/cassandra.yaml and instead enable
the num_tokens parameter. A good default value for this is 256"

Also I couldn't find document about set multiple tokens for cassandra.inital_token

Anyway, I just tested, it does work to set  comma separated list of tokens.

Thanks,

Zhong

On Jan 29, 2013, at 3:06 AM, aaron morton wrote:

>> After I searched some document on Datastax website and some old ticket, seems that
it works for random partitioner only, and leaves order preserved partitioner out of the luck.
> Links ?
>
>>   or allow add Virtual Nodes manually?
> If not looked into it but there is a cassandra.inital_token startup param that takes
a comma separated list of tokens for the node.

> There also appears to be support for the ordered partitions to generate random tokens.

> But you would still have the problem of having to balance your row keys around the token
space.

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Developer
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 29/01/2013, at 10:31 AM, Zhong Li <zli@voxeo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Virtual Nodes is great feature. After I searched some document on Datastax website
and some old ticket, seems that it works for random partitioner only, and leaves order preserved
partitioner out of the luck. I may misunderstand, please correct me. if it doesn't love order
preserved partitioner, would be possible to add support multiple initial_token(s) for  order
preserved partitioner  or allow add Virtual Nodes manually?