cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Michael Kjellman <mkjell...@barracuda.com>
Subject Re: Single Node Cassandra Installation
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 18:12:13 GMT
Should be fine if one node can deal with your read and write load.
Switching from SimpleStrategy to RackAware can be a pain. That¹s a
potential growth point way down the line (if you ever have your nodes on
different switches). You might want to just setup your keyspace as
RackAware if you intend to keep this keyspace in production in the future.

Redistributing load could take a while if your one node gets really
loaded, but obviously there are well documented ways to fix this with
nodetool.

I'd make sure you start off your single node with a token of 0 so it's
easy to add more nodes later.

Also, with a single node you will have no replication so I assume this is
okay in your production environment.

On 11/5/12 9:59 AM, "zGreenfelder" <zgreenfelder@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Drew Kutcharian <drew@venarc.com> wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> What should I look out for when deploying a single node installation?
>>We want to launch a product that uses Cassandra and since we are going
>>to have very little load initially, we were thinking of just going live
>>with one node and eventually add more nodes as the load (hopefully)
>>grows. Is this practice recommended?
>>

>I'm far from an expert and single node should be fine for development,
>but for your production site, I'd suggest going with a minimal 'real'
>cluster (2-3 nodes).   in my limited experience with hadoop, single
>node is significantly different from multinode, and I wouldn't want to
>start from a position where config  is certain to have to
>fundamentally change as opposed to just grow.   But that's just my
>first guess, you could try a dev move from a single node to a dual
>node to find out how difficult it might be.
>

>--
>Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so
>good.

'Like' us on Facebook for exclusive content and other resources on all Barracuda Networks
solutions.
Visit http://barracudanetworks.com/facebook