cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: repair, compaction, and tombstone rows
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2012 19:37:24 GMT
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM, horschi <horschi@gmail.com> wrote:
> might I ask why repair cannot simply ignore anything that is older than
> gc-grace? (like Aaron proposed)

Well, actually the merkle tree computation could probably ignore
gcable tombstones without much problem, which might not be such a bad
idea and would probably solve much of your problem. However, when we
stream the ranges that needs to be repaired, we stream sub-part of the
sstables without deserializing them, so we can't exclude the gcable
tombstones in that phase (that is, it's a technical reason, but
deserializing data would be inefficient). Meaning that if we won't
guarantee that you won't ever stream gcable tombstones.

But excluding gcable tombstones from the merkle-tree computation is a
good idea. Would you mind opening a JIRA ticket?

--
Sylvain