cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Ananth Gundabattula <agundabatt...@gmail.com>
Subject Query regarding SSTable timestamps and counts
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:18:52 GMT
We have a cluster  running cassandra 1.1.4. On this cluster,

1. We had to move the nodes around a bit  when we were adding new nodes
(there was quite a good amount of node movement )

2. We had to stop compactions during some of the days to save some disk
 space on some of the nodes when they were running very very low on disk
spaces. (via nodetool stop COMPACTION)

As per datastax documentation, a manual compaction forces the admin to
start compaction manually and disables the automated compaction (atleast
for major compactions but not minor compactions )

Here are the questions I have regarding compaction:

1. Does a nodetool stop compaction also force the admin to manually run
major compaction ( I.e. disable automated major compactions ? )

2. Can a node restart reset the automated major compaction if a node gets
into a manual mode compaction for whatever reason ?

3. What is the ideal  number of SSTables for a table in a keyspace ( I mean
are there any indicators as to whether my compaction is alright or not ? )
 . For example, I have seen SSTables on the disk more than 10 days old
wherein there were other SSTables belonging to the same table but much
younger than the older SSTables ( The node movement and repair and cleanup
happened between the older SSTables and the new SSTables being
touched/modified)

4. Does a upgradesstables fix any compaction issues ?

Regards,
Ananth