cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Hiller, Dean" <>
Subject Re: 1000's of column families
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:37:27 GMT
  to address your question, read my last post but to summarize, yes, there
is less overhead in memory to prefix keys than manage multiple Cfs EXCEPT
when doing map/reduce.  Doing map/reduce, you will now have HUGE overhead
in reading a whole slew of rows you don't care about as you can't
map/reduce a single virtual CF but must map/reduce the whole CF wasting
TONS of resources.

On 10/1/12 3:38 PM, "Ben Hood" <> wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Brian O'Neill <>
>> Its just a convenient way of prefixing:
>So given that it is possible to use a CF per tenant, should we assume
>that there at sufficient scale that there is less overhead to prefix
>keys than there is to manage multiple CFs?

View raw message