cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Thomas van Neerijnen <...@bossastudios.com>
Subject unexpected behaviour on seed nodes when using -Dcassandra.replace_token
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:49:55 GMT
Hi all

I recently tried to replace a dead node using
-Dcassandra.replace_token=<token>, which so far has been good to me.
However on one of my nodes this option was ignored and the node simply
picked a different token to live at and started up there.

It was a foolish mistake on my part because it was set as a seed node,
which results in this error in the log file:
INFO [main] 2012-10-19 12:41:00,886 StorageService.java (line 518) This
node will not auto bootstrap because it is configured to be
 a seed node.
but it seems a little scary that this would mean it'll just ignore the fact
that you want a replace a token and put itself somewhere else in the
cluster. Surely it should behave similarly to trying to replace a live node
by throwing some kind of exception?