cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Regarding Row Cache configuration and non-heap memory
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 19:25:21 GMT
> In short the question is whether the row_cache_size_in_mb can exceed the heap setting
for cassandra 1.1.4 if jna.jar is present in the libs?
Yes.
AFAIK jna.jar is not required for off heap row cache in 1.1.X

> My heap settings are 8G and new heap size is 1600M.
You can reduce the size of the heap in 1.1X. The default settings max out of 4G.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 4/10/2012, at 3:21 PM, Ananth Gundabattula <agundabattula@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have configured cassandra 1.1.4 to use row cache of 10GB ( the RAM on the machine is
pretty big and hence the row cache size is high).  My heap settings are 8G and new heap size
is 1600M.

> As I read from the forum and documentation, jna.jar allows to use non-heap memory for
the row caches.

> The question I have is how is the configuration in cassandra.yaml for row_cache_size_in_mb
interpreted? Is it referring to the non-heap setting or the memory used inside the heap to
maintain book-keeping information about the non-heap memory ( as I gather from the postings
that heap is indeed used to some extent while still using the non-heap memory for row caches).