cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Bryce Godfrey <Bryce.Godf...@azaleos.com>
Subject High bandwidth usage between datacenters for cluster
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2012 17:44:55 GMT
We have a 5 node cluster, with a matching 5 nodes for DR in another data center.   With a replication
factor of 3, does the node I send a write too attempt to send it to the 3 servers in the DR
also?  Or does it send it to 1 and let it replicate locally in the DR environment to save
bandwidth across the WAN?
Normally this isn't an issue for us, but at times we are writing approximately 1MB a sec of
data, and seeing a corresponding 3MB of traffic across the WAN to all the Cassandra DR servers.

If my assumptions are right, is this configurable somehow for writing to one node and letting
it do local replication?  We are on 1.1.5

Thanks