cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Bartłomiej Romański ...@sentia.pl>
Subject are counters stable enough for production?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 01:46:39 GMT
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using Cassandra counters in production?

We rely heavily on them and recently we've got a few very serious
problems. Our counters values suddenly became a few times higher than
expected. From the business point of view this is a disaster :/ Also
there a few open major bugs related to them. Some of them for quite
long (months).

We are seriously considering going back to other solutions (e.g. SQL
databases). We simply cannot afford incorrect counter values. We can
tolerate loosing a few increments from time to time, but we cannot
tolerate having counters suddenly 3 times higher or lower than the
expected values.

What is the current status of counters? Should I consider them a
production-ready feature and we just have some bad luck? Or should I
rather consider them as a experimental-feature and look for some other
solutions?

Do you have any experiences with them? Any comments would be very
helpful for us!

Thanks,
Bartek