cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Guy Incognito <dnd1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new "nodetool ring" output and unbalanced ring?
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:21:38 GMT
out of interest, why -100 and not -1 or + 1?  any particular reason?

On 06/09/2012 19:17, Tyler Hobbs wrote:
> To minimize the impact on the cluster, I would bootstrap a new 1d node 
> at (42535295865117307932921825928971026432 - 100), then decommission 
> the 1c node at 42535295865117307932921825928971026432 and run cleanup 
> on your us-east nodes.
>
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM, William Oberman 
> <oberman@civicscience.com <mailto:oberman@civicscience.com>> wrote:
>
>     Didn't notice the racks!  Of course....
>
>     If I change a 1c to a 1d, what would I have to do to make sure
>     data shuffles around correctly?  Repair everywhere?
>
>     will
>
>     On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Tyler Hobbs <tyler@datastax.com
>     <mailto:tyler@datastax.com>> wrote:
>
>         The main issue is that one of your us-east nodes is in rack
>         1d, while the restart are in rack 1c.  With NTS and multiple
>         racks, Cassandra will try use one node from each rack as a
>         replica for a range until it either meets the RF for the DC,
>         or runs out of racks, in which case it just picks nodes
>         sequentially going clockwise around the ring (starting from
>         the range being considered, not the last node that was chosen
>         as a replica).
>
>         To fix this, you'll either need to make the 1d node a 1c node,
>         or make 42535295865117307932921825928971026432 a 1d node so
>         that you're alternating racks within that DC.
>
>
>         On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM, William Oberman
>         <oberman@civicscience.com <mailto:oberman@civicscience.com>>
>         wrote:
>
>             Hi,
>
>             I recently upgraded from 0.8.x to 1.1.x (through 1.0
>             briefly) and nodetool -ring seems to have changed from
>             "owns" to "effectively owns".  "Effectively owns" seems to
>             account for replication factor (RF).  I'm ok with all of
>             this, yet I still can't figure out what's up with my
>             cluster.  I have a NetworkTopologyStrategy with two data
>             centers (DCs) with RF/number nodes in DC combinations of:
>             DC Name, RF, # in DC
>             analytics, 1, 2
>             us-east, 3, 4
>             So I'd expect 50% on each analytics node, and 75% for each
>             us-east node.  Instead, I have two nodes in us-east with
>             50/100??? (the other two are 75/75 as expected).
>
>             Here is the output of nodetool (all nodes report the same
>             thing):
>             Address         DC          Rack    Status State   Load
>              Effective-Ownership Token
>              127605887595351923798765477786913079296
>             x.x.x.x   us-east     1c          Up     Normal  94.57 GB
>                    75.00%        0
>             x.x.x.x   analytics   1c          Up     Normal  60.64 GB
>                    50.00%        1
>             x.x.x.x   us-east     1c          Up     Normal  131.76 GB
>                   75.00%  42535295865117307932921825928971026432
>             x.x.x.x    us-east     1c          Up     Normal  43.45 GB
>                    50.00%  85070591730234615865843651857942052864
>             x.x.x.x    analytics   1d          Up     Normal  60.88 GB
>                    50.00%  85070591730234615865843651857942052865
>             x.x.x.x   us-east     1d          Up     Normal  98.56 GB
>                    100.00% 127605887595351923798765477786913079296
>
>             If I use cassandra-cli to do "show keyspaces;" I get (and
>             again, all nodes report the same thing):
>             Keyspace: civicscience:
>               Replication Strategy:
>             org.apache.cassandra.locator.NetworkTopologyStrategy
>               Durable Writes: true
>                 Options: [analytics:1, us-east:3]
>             I removed the output about all of my column families
>             (CFs), hopefully that doesn't matter.
>
>             Did I compute the tokens wrong?  Is there a combination of
>             nodetool commands I can run to migrate the data around to
>             rebalance to 75/75/75/75?  I routinely run repair already.
>              And as the release notes required, I ran upgradesstables
>             during the upgrade process.
>
>             Before the upgrade, I was getting analytics = 0%, and
>             us-east = 25% on each node, which I expected for "owns".
>
>             will
>
>
>
>
>         -- 
>         Tyler Hobbs
>         DataStax <http://datastax.com/>
>
>
>
>
>     -- 
>     Will Oberman
>     Civic Science, Inc.
>     3030 Penn Avenue., First Floor
>     Pittsburgh, PA 15201
>     (M) 412-480-7835 <tel:412-480-7835>
>     (E) oberman@civicscience.com <mailto:oberman@civicscience.com>
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> Tyler Hobbs
> DataStax <http://datastax.com/>
>


Mime
View raw message