cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: OutOfMemory log in Cassandra
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 04:53:07 GMT
> CASSANDRA_HEAPDUMP_DIR
Is for JVM out of memory. You were seeing the OS kill the JVM because of low os memory.

Cheers
-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 22/08/2012, at 4:28 PM, Xu Renjie <xrjxrjxrjnet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guille,
>    Thanks for your reply. I seem to find where is the problem. I guess it is because
memory is used up not the jvm heap( I use micro ec2 instance just for toy use). Seems that
I have set the cassandra heap too high to avoid gc to effect my performance, but the total
memory is not enough. So I have set a smaller cache value for my application. Currently, it
works well.

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Guillermo Winkler <gwinkler@inconcertcc.com>
wrote:
> Xu, what's your configuration?
>
> How many CF, how much data (size/rows/cols), how many clients operations/sec and how
much memory assigned for the heap?

> Guille
>

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Xu Renjie <xrjxrjxrjnet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>    I have a problem about the log. I have set the CASSANDRA_HEAPDUMP_DIR in the cassandra-env.in
file to some path to store the dump file
> when OutOfMemory exception happens. But after out of memory happens(I judge it from the
/var/log/messages which says "kernel: out of memory:
> kill process XXXX), there is no dump file generated in that path. Is this because kernel
kill the jvm first so no OutOfMemory exception thrown or what? I am new to linux. Thanks in
advance.