cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jim Cistaro <>
Subject Re: JMX(RMI) dynamic port allocation problem still exists?
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 06:41:36 GMT
You may already be aware, but another possible solution is to use MX4J to do your JMX over
REST (I have not tried this myself yet).

From: Yang <<>>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:55:00 -0700
To: <<>>
Subject: Re: JMX(RMI) dynamic port allocation problem still exists?

Thanks Nick.

it would be nice to pack such work-arounds together with Cassandra, and enable it with a command
line arg in the start up script,  so that the end-user has a more
smooth usage experience ----- we did spend some time before to debug the ports issues, and
find a trick for that.
I imagine a lot of users will have to go through the same process since "closing all ports"
is the default EC2 network security policy for most companies. Or at least add a link for
the fix in the installation wikis such as<>

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Nick Bailey <<>>
The problem still exists. There was a discussion about resolving
inside cassandra here:

But the ultimate resolution was that since workarounds like the one
you mentioned exist it would be left as is for now.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Yang <<>>
> no, the priblem is that jmx listens on 7199, once an incoming connection is
> made, it literally tells the other side "come and connect to me on these 2
> rmi ports",  and open up  2 random  Rmi ports
> we used to use the trick in the above link to resolve this
> On Aug 27, 2012 3:04 PM, "Hiller, Dean" <<>>
>> In, search on JMX_PORT and it is set to 7199 (ie. Fixed)
>> so that solves your issue, correct?
>> Dean
>> From: Yang <<><<>>>
>> Date: Monday, August 27, 2012 3:44 PM
>> <<><<>>>
>> Subject: JMX(RMI) dynamic port allocation problem still exists?
>> ow, does Cassandra come with an out-of-the box solution to fix the above
>> problem? or do I have
>> to create that little javaagent jar myself?

View raw message