cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Guillermo Winkler <gwink...@inconcertcc.com>
Subject Why the StageManager thread pools have 60 seconds keepalive time?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:09:49 GMT
Hi, I have a cassandra cluster where I'm seeing a lot of thread trashing
from the mutation pool.

MutationStage:72031

Where threads get created and disposed in 100's batches every few minutes,
since it's a 16 core server concurrent_writes is set in 100 in the
cassandra.yaml.

concurrent_writes: 100

I've seen in the StageManager class this pools get created with 60 seconds
keepalive time.

DebuggableThreadPoolExecutor -> allowCoreThreadTimeOut(true);

StageManager-> public static final long KEEPALIVE = 60; // seconds to keep
"extra" threads alive for when idle

Is it a reason for it to be this way?

Why not have a fixed size pool with Integer.MAX_VALUE as keepalive since
corePoolSize and maxPoolSize are set at the same size?

Thanks,
Guille