cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jason Axelson <ja...@engagestage.com>
Subject two-node cassandra cluster
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:25:48 GMT
Hi, I have an application that will be very dormant most of the time
but will need high-bursting a few days out of the month. Since we are
deploying on EC2 I would like to keep only one Cassandra server up
most of the time and then on burst days I want to bring one more
server up (with more RAM and CPU than the first) to help serve the
load. What is the best way to do this? Should I take a different
approach?

Some notes about what I plan to do:
* Bring the node up and repair it immediately
* After the burst time is over decommission the powerful node
* Use the always-on server as the seed node
* My main question is how to get the nodes to share all the data since
I want a replication factor of 2 (so both nodes have all the data) but
that won't work while there is only one server. Should I bring up 2
extra servers instead of just one?

Thanks,
Jason