cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Plohmann <oli...@objectscape.org>
Subject Re: Loading data on-demand in Cassandra
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 05:12:40 GMT
Thanks Dave. Does anybody know of a distributed in-memory system that can do this and that
supports structured data (e.g. tables)?

/Oliver

Am 12.08.2012 um 21:39 schrieb Dave Brosius <dbrosius@mebigfatguy.com>:

> When data is first written it does remain in memory until that memory is flushed. After
the data is only on disk, it remains there until a read for that row-key/column is requested
so in essense it's     always load on demand.

> Currently there is no support for async notifications of changes.
>

> On 08/12/2012 03:24 PM, Oliver Plohmann wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking a bit into Cassandra to see whether it would be something to go with
for my company. I searched through the Internet, looked through the FAQs, etc. but there are
still some few open questions. Hope I don't bother anybody with the usual beginner questions

>> Is there a way to do load-on-demand of data in Cassandra? For the time being, we
cannot afford to built up a cluster that holds our 700 GB SQL-Database in RAM. So we need
to be able to load data on-demand from our relational database. Can this be done in Cassandra?
Then there also needs to be a way to unload data in order to reclaim RAM space. Would be nice
if it were possible to register for an asynchronous notification in case some value was changed.
Can this be done?