cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Christof Roduner <chris...@scandit.com>
Subject Re: Changing comparator
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 12:06:12 GMT
Hi Roshni,

Thanks for your reply. As far as I know, ASSUME is only for cqlsh and
not for CQL in general. (We can of course achieve the same by
programmatically setting the encoding. It would be just simpler to let
the CQL driver take care of it...)

Regards,
Christof

On 8/3/2012 11:31 AM, Roshni Rajagopal wrote:
> Christof ,
>
> can't you just use ASSUME for the CQL session?
>
> http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/references/cql/ASSUME
>

> Regards,
> Roshni
>

> On 03/08/12 2:26 PM, "Christof Roduner" <christof@scandit.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know that changing a CF's comparator is not officially supported.
>> However, there is a post by Jonathan Ellis that implies it can be done
>> (www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg09502.html).
>>
>> I assume that we'd have to change entries in the system.schema_* column
>> families.
>>
>> Has anyone successfully done this?
>>
>> We want to change the comparator from BytesType to UTF8Type to make the
>> move to CQL easier ("cannot parse 'foo' as hex bytes"). Our CFs were
>> created back in the Cassandra 0.6.x days and are too large to be easily
>> copied to new CFs with a new schema.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Christof
>
> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
destroy it immediately. *** Walmart Confidential ***