cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: can you use hostnames in the topology file?
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 04:44:45 GMT
All host names are resolved to IP addresses.

>  does the listen_address have to be hardwired to that same EXACT hostname for lookup
purposes as well?
Not sure exactly what you mean here.
I think if you only supply the host name, and your DNS is set correctly will work.

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 28/08/2012, at 5:00 AM, "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov> wrote:

> In the example, I see all ips being used, but our machines are on dhcp so I would prefer
using hostnames for everything(plus if a machine goes down, I can bring it back online on
another machine with a different ip but same hostname).

> If I use hostname, does the listen_address have to be hardwired to that same EXACT hostname
for lookup purposes as well?  Or will localhost grab the hostname though it looks like it
grabs the ip.