cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: How to add secondary index to existing column family with CLI?
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 04:27:16 GMT
The column name must be valid according to the type  specified for the comparator .

>                 cannot parse ‘title’ as hex bytes.

Looks like you dont have a comparator type, so it defaulted to bytes.

You can either change the comparator *IF* all column names are strings or get the ascii code
for "title" and use that.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 21/08/2012, at 5:15 AM, "Ryabin, Thomas" <Thomas.Ryabin@McKesson.com> wrote:

> I want to add a secondary index to an existing column family, but am running into some
trouble. I’m trying to use the Cassandra CLI to add the secondary index. The column family
is called “books”, the column I’m trying to index is called “title”, the key validation
class is UTF8Type, and the default column value validator is BytesType.

> I first tried running this command with no success:
> update column family books with column_metadata=[{column_name: title, index_type: KEYS}];
>
> I got the error:
>                 cannot parse ‘title’ as hex bytes.
>

> I then tried running:
> update column family books with column_metadata=[{column_name: utf8(‘title’), index_type:
KEYS}];