cassandra-user mailing list archives

From prasenjit mukherjee <prasen....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SSTable format
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2012 02:19:53 GMT

> It depends on what partitioner you use. You should be using the
> RandomPartitioner, and if so, the rows are sorted by the hash of the row
> key. there are partitioners that sort based on the raw key value but these
> partitioners shouldn't be used as they have problems due to uneven
> partitioning of data.

Any reason  rowkeys are not stored by their raws keys on a given node
for RP ? I understand the partitioning across nodes should be
randomized, but on a given node why they are sorted by hash of their
keys and not just by the raw keys ?

What are we gaining by 'decorating' the keys with a random number ?  (
ref section 3 in http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureSSTable
)

-Thanks,
Prasenjit