cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: SSTable format
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:50:43 GMT
> Any reason  rowkeys are not stored by their raws keys on a given node
> for RP ? I understand the partitioning across nodes should be
> randomized, but on a given node why they are sorted by hash of their
> keys and not just by the raw keys ?

All the operation that change the topology of the cluster
(adding/removing/moving a node, but repair too) requires that we are able to
transfer data corresponding to token ranges. If rows were ordered locally by
their raw key rather than their token, those operation would require a node to
read all it's data even to transfer a small amount of it. This would be highly
inefficient.

--
Sylvain