cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Bootstrap code path
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 07:20:05 GMT
On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Bill Hastings <bllhastings@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could someone please tell me where I should start looking at code to
> understand how cassandra bootstrap process works?

The bootstrap phase pretty much start in the bootstrap() method in
StorageService.java, though a good part of the code is in
Bootstrapper.java.

> Also is my understanding correct that the new nodes that are added
> are not joining the ring till the bootstrap process is complete i.e do
> not receive any read or write requests from outside?

It is true for reads but not for writes. Writes are send early in the
bootstrap process otherwise the node wouldn't be up to date once the
bootstrap is completed.

--
Sylvain