cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: Multiple keyspace question
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 18:28:39 GMT
Also, all CF's in the same KS share one commit log. So all writes for the row row key, across
all CF's, are committed at the same time.

Some other settings, such as caches in 1.1, are machine wide.

If you have a small KS for something like app config, I'd say go with whatever feels right.
If you are talking about two full "application" KS's I would think about their prospective
workloads and growth patterns. Will you always want to manage the two together ?

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer

On 6/07/2012, at 9:47 PM, Robin Verlangen wrote:

> Hi Ben,
> The amount of keyspaces is not the problem: the amount of column families is. Each column
family adds a certain amount of memory usage to the system. You can cope with this by adding
memory or using generic column families that store different types of data.
> With kind regards,
> Robin Verlangen
> Software engineer
> Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and attachments is intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are reminded that the information remains the property of the sender.
You must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If you have received
this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and irrevocably delete this message
and any copies.
> 2012/7/6 Ben Kaehne <>
> Good evening,
> I have read multiple keyspaces are bad before in a few discussions, but to what extent?
> We have some reasonably powerful machines and looking to host an additional (currently
we have 1) 2 keyspaces within our cassandra cluster (of 3 nodes, using RF3).
> At what point does adding extra keyspaces start becoming an issue? Is there anything
special we should be considering or watching out for as we implement this?
> I could not imagine that all cassandra users out there are running one massive keyspace,
and at the same time can not imaging that all cassandra users have multiple clusters just
to host different keyspaces.
> Regards.
> --
> -Ben