cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Column names overhead
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 18:47:32 GMT
> What is the penalty for using longer column names?
Each column name is stored in each -Data file were a value is stored for it. So if you have
muchos overwrites the column name may be stored many places.

> Should I sacrifice longer self-explanatory names for shorter cryptic ones to save the
disk space?
If you have lots of COBOL programmers around it may be OK. If you are at the extremes of capacity
it may also be ok.
You may also get some value by storing the schema separately from the data.

> On one hand, I understand that Cassandra row id a key-value map, but on another hand,
it probably uses compression when storing them.
Compression is (currently) off by default, see http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/whats-new-in-cassandra-1-0-compression

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 23/06/2012, at 5:03 AM, Leonid Ilyevsky wrote:

> What is the penalty for using longer column names?
> Should I sacrifice longer self-explanatory names for shorter cryptic ones to save the
disk space?
> On one hand, I understand that Cassandra row id a key-value map, but on another hand,
it probably uses compression when storing them.

> This email, along with any attachments, is confidential and may be legally privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized dissemination, copying or use of
the contents of this email is strictly prohibited and may be in violation of law. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, forwarding or distribution of this email
is strictly prohibited and this email and any attachments should be deleted immediately. This
email and any attachments do not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer
to purchase any interest in any investment vehicle sponsored by Moon Capital Management LP
(“Moon Capital”). Moon Capital does not provide legal, accounting or tax advice. Any statement
regarding legal, accounting or tax matters was not intended or written to be relied upon by
any person as advice. Moon Capital does not waive confidentiality or privilege as a result
of this email.