cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Removing a counter columns using Thrift interface
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2012 07:28:21 GMT
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Patrik Modesto
<patrik.modesto@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm used to use Mutation for everything, so the first thing I tried
> was Deletion on Counter column. Well, nothing happened. No error and
> the Counter column was still there.

That shouldn't happen.

> The second try was the remove_counter() method. When I set just the
> column_family of ColumnPath, nothing happened. No error and the
> Counter column was still there. I supposed it would work like the
> remove() method which would remove whole row.

It should. If if it doesn't that would be a bug. If you can reproduce
such a bug, then please do open a ticket.

> Why did I try to remove a Counter column? Because I need to reset the
> counter to zero before computing something and I don't know other way.

Unfortunately that will not work. As said here:
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Counters,
the removal of counters if limited and cannot be used to reset a counter.
That is, deleting a counter should work, but incrementing the same
counter afterwards will not produce the expected result.
I'll note that this is a limitation of the counter design, and as such I don't
expect this to be fixed any time soon so you do will have to work around
it.

--
Sylvain