cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: wildcards as both ends
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:55:18 GMT
> I'm wondering how or if it's possible to implement efficient wildcards at both ends, e.g.
*string*
No.

> - if I can get another equality constraint which narrows down potential result set significantly,
I can do a scan. I'm not sure how feasible this is without benchmarks. Does any one know if
I can scan couple hundreds / thousands in a 3 node replication factory=2 cluster quickly?

Not efficiently.

If you need full text capabilities look at Solr, Solandra (the solr to cassandra port) or
Data Stax Enterprise.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 21/06/2012, at 2:20 AM, Sam Z J wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm wondering how or if it's possible to implement efficient wildcards at both ends,
e.g. *string*

> I can think of a few options... please comment, thanks =D
>
> - if I can get another equality constraint which narrows down potential result set significantly,
I can do a scan. I'm not sure how feasible this is without benchmarks. Does any one know if
I can scan couple hundreds / thousands in a 3 node replication factory=2 cluster quickly?

> - for each string I have, index all the prefixes in a column family, e.g. for string
'string', I'd have rows string, strin, stri, str, st, s, with column values somehow pointing
back as row keys. This almost blows up the storage needed =/ (also, what do I do if I hit
the 2billion row width limit? is there a way to say 'insert into another row if the current
one is full'?)