cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Question on SSTable Configuration Parameters......
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 04:38:46 GMT
> Where can I find parameters to control the SSTable files - e.g. their min/max sizes, etc.
It's not normally something you need to worry about.

The initial size of the files is not really controlled by settings. The data is flushed to
disk when either the commit log reaches a certain size, or when a certain amount of memory
is used by the memtables.

After that it's up to the compaction strategy. The default sized tiered just collects files
together of similar sizes. The Levelled Compaction strategy has some more settings http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/leveled-compaction-in-apache-cassandra

> Is that because the examples did not have much data or is that the case even when you
have hundreds of GB of data for a column family on a node in a cluster?
The former.

> Also, are incremental backups possible ? Where can I find examples of that?

http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.1/operations/index

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 18/06/2012, at 12:54 PM, Jayesh Thakrar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am a getting started with Cassandra and have been reading the O'Reilly Book and some
other documentation.
> I understand that data is persisted in SSTable files.
>
> Where can I find parameters to control the SSTable files - e.g. their min/max sizes,
etc.
> I looked up http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/StorageConfiguration and some other places
do not find any such parameters.

> Also, when reading the book and some other examples on backups, it seems that when a
column family is backed up, its all contained in a single data file.