cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: java.net.SocketTimeoutException while Trying to Drop a Collection
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 01:45:30 GMT
The default value for rpc_timeout is 10000 - 10 seconds.

You want the socket timeout to be higher than the rpc_timeout otherwise the client will give
up before the server.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 1/06/2012, at 3:26 AM, Christof Bornhoevd wrote:

> Thanks a lot Aaron for the very fast response!
>
> I have increased the CassandraThriftSocketTimeout from 5000 to 9000. Is this a reasonable
setting?
> configurator.setCassandraThriftSocketTimeout(9000
>
> );
> Cheers,
> Christof
>
> 2012/5/31 aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com>
> There are two times of timeouts. The thrift TimedOutException occurs when the coordinator
times out waiting for the CL level nodes to respond. The error is transmitted back to the
client and raised.

> This is a client side socket timeout waiting for the coordinator to respond. See the
CassandraHostConfigurator.setCassandraThriftSocketTimeout() setting.

> Cheers
>
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Developer
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 31/05/2012, at 11:44 AM, Christof Bornhoevd wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are using Cassandra 1.0.8 with Hector 1.0-5 on both Windows and Linux. In our
development/test environment we always recreate the schema in Cassandra (first dropping all
ColumnFamilies then recreating them) and then seeding the test data. We simply use cluster.dropColumnFamily(keyspace.getKeyspaceName(),
collectionName); to drop ColumnFamilies. The client is using ThriftFramedTransport (configurator.setUseThriftFramedTransport(true);).

>> Every so often we run into the following exception (with different ColumnFamilies):
>>
>> Caused by: me.prettyprint.hector.api.exceptions.HectorTransportException: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException:
>> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.ExceptionsTranslatorImpl.translate(ExceptionsTranslatorImpl.java:33)
>> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.AbstractCluster$7.execute(AbstractCluster.java:279)
>> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.AbstractCluster$7.execute(AbstractCluster.java:266)
>> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.Operation.executeAndSetResult(Operation.java:103)
>> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.connection.HConnectionManager.operateWithFailover(HConnectionManager.java:258)
>> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.AbstractCluster.dropColumnFamily(AbstractCluster.java:283)
>> at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.AbstractCluster.dropColumnFamily(AbstractCluster.java:261)
>> at com.supervillains.plouton.cassandradatastore.CassandraDataStore.deleteCollection(CassandraDataStore.java:195)
>> ... 57 more
>>
>> Is this problem related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-3551 (which
should have been fixed with Cassandra 1.0.6) or could there be anything we do wrong here?