cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Edward Sargisson <edward.sargis...@globalrelay.net>
Subject Performance impact of static vs dynamic columns and mixing the two in the same CF
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 16:30:31 GMT
Hi all,
A question has come up in our team about the performance impact of
static vs dynamic columns. We'd like to ask two questions:

Quick background: We are using a custom app to write to Cassandra using
Hector. Production is Solaris and pre-prod is generally Centos. We're
currently on 0.7 but will be moving to 1.1 very shortly.

1. Does specifying the type of a column affect performance other than
the cost of validating data as it is stored?
e.g. does it help compaction, etc?
 From my reading of the docs the advantage is that the data will be
validated on write and that the various dev tools can deserialize into a
human readable form easily.

2. Is there any impact to mixing static and dynamic columns in the same
column family? (Follow-up question: is this far outside of the
designers' intentions and thus unsafe?)
The docs seem to indicate that the designers think of static column
families and dynamic column families and *not* a mixture of the two.

My mental model is that a column is just a column. It's possible to
specify some metadata about columns for validation and display but
that's about it. Is there something to change this model?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers,
Edward

--

Edward Sargisson

senior java developer
Global Relay

edward.sargisson@globalrelay.net <mailto:edward.sargisson@globalrelay.net>

*866.484.6630*
New York | Chicago | Vancouver | London  (+44.0800.032.9829) |
Singapore  (+65.3158.1301)

Global Relay Archive supports email, instant messaging, BlackBerry,
Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, Pivot, YellowJacket, LinkedIn, Twitter,
Facebook and more.

Ask about *Global Relay Message*
<http://www.globalrelay.com/services/message>*--- *The Future of
Collaboration in the Financial Services World

*
*All email sent to or from this address will be retained by Global
Relay's email archiving system. This message is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  Global Relay will not be liable for
any compliance or technical information provided herein.  All trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.