Hi,

I use Cassandra 0.8.5 and am suddenly noticing some strange behavior. I run a "create column family" command with some column meta-data and it runs fine, but when I do "describe keyspace", it shows me different column names for those index columns.

a) Here is what I run:
"create column family UserTemplate with comparator=BytesType and column_metadata=[{column_name: userid, validation_class: UTF8Type, index_type: KEYS, index_name: TemplateUserIdIdx}, {column_name: type, validation_class: UTF8Type, index_type: KEYS, index_name: TemplateTypeIdx}];"

b) This is what "describe keyspace" shows:
    ColumnFamily: UserTemplate
      Key Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.BytesType
      Built indexes: [UserTemplate.TemplateTypeIdx, UserTemplate.TemplateUserIdIdx]
      Column Metadata:
        Column Name: ffffff
          Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
          Index Name: TemplateUserIdIdx
          Index Type: KEYS
        Column Name: 0dfffaff
          Validation Class: org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.UTF8Type
          Index Name: TemplateTypeIdx
          Index Type: KEYS

Does anyone see why this must be happening? I have created many such column families before and never run into this issue.

--
Roshan
http://roshandawrani.wordpress.com/