cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Williams <je...@wherethebitsroam.com>
Subject Re: Write performance compared to Postgresql
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 18:29:41 GMT
Just to follow this up, I repeated the test with a multi-threaded java (Hector) client and
was able to get much better performance - 10,000 rows in just over a second. So it looks like
the client latency was the killer and I have since read that the ruby thrift implementation
is not the fastest.

On Apr 4, 2012, at 9:11 AM, Jeff Williams wrote:

> On three machines on the same subnet as the two cassandra nodes.
>
> On Apr 3, 2012, at 6:40 PM, Collard, David L (Dave) wrote:
>
>> Where is your client running?

out performing my 2 node cassandra cluster, although the gap is narrowing.

>> Jeff
>>
>> On Apr 3, 2012, at 4:08 PM, Vitalii Tymchyshyn wrote:
>>
>>> Note that having tons of TCP connections is not good. We are using async client
to issue multiple calls over single connection at same time. You can do the same.

>>> Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn.
>>>
>>> 03.04.12 16:18, Jeff Williams написав(ла):
than the cassandra backend? This sounds reasonable, and fits with our use case, as we will
have several servers writing. However, a bit harder to test!

threads hitting the server at once you will see throughput improve.

I had 100 hashes representing logs entries, read from a json file. I then looped over these
to do 10,000 log inserts. I repeated the same writing to a postgresql instance on one of the
cassandra servers. The script is attached. The cassandra writes appear to perform a lot worse.
Is this expected?