cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Henrik Schröder <skro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question regarding major compaction.
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 11:31:14 GMT
But what's the difference between doing an extra read from that One Big
File, than doing an extra read from whatever SSTable happen to be largest
in the course of automatic minor compaction?

We have a pretty update-heavy application, and doing a major compaction can
remove up to 30% of the used diskspace. That directly translates into less
reads and less SSTables that rows appear in. Everything that's unchanged
since the last major compaction is obviously faster to access, and
everything that's changed since the last major compaction is about the same
as if we hadn't done it?

So I'm still confused. I don't see a significant difference between doing
the occasional major compaction or leaving it to do automatic minor
compactions. What am I missing? Reads will "continually degrade" with
automatic minor compactions as well, won't they?

I can sort of see that if you have a moving active data set, then that will
most probably only exist in the smallest SSTables and frequently be the
object of minor compactions, and doing a major compaction will move all of
it into the biggest SSTables?

/Henrik