cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Schema size
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 15:21:13 GMT
In Cassandra 1.1 the schema is no longer a full migration history.
Before that each schema change is recorded in the table and they all
have to be replayed when a node bootstraps. Also 1.1 has some bug ATM
that means you should not switch to it.

People tend to say things like "with cassandra X you now can have more
CF and KS's" but back in the day the thinking was "You only need 1"

Hector has a concept of "virtual keyspaces" which is a model that is
likely to give you more success then 1500 CFs. I am not a fan of
dynamically creating and tearing down CFS on the fly or 1 per customer
designs.

When the wrinkles come out of 1.1 and up upgrade the schema size
should shrink down.